This new year is the perfect time to make resolutions for ourselves and our families. As a family caregiver, it can be hard to know where to start when it comes to making resolutions that will help us provide the best care for our loved ones. To help make this process easier, we’ve put together 10 of our top resolutions after speaking to a few caregivers and their goals for 2023. These resolutions are designed to give you the tools you need to provide the best possible care for your family members.
It Is All About Perspective
As a family caregiver, it can be challenging to maintain a positive attitude, especially when the role becomes overwhelming. Being optimistic will help caregivers cope, reduce stress, and help them get through tough times.
You become stressed when you believe you are not able to cope with the demands placed on you on a daily basis, from work to family to caregiving. You can manage your stress by taking breaks, exercising, getting together with friends, and asking for help.
Our Top Resolution Suggestions
We spoke to some of our favorite caregivers and this is what they had to say!
1) “I Deserve To Have Me-Time In My Schedule” - You tell yourself you don't have time to do anything that you enjoy, that you'll never see your friends, or to just sit back and relax for a little while, but taking a break from time to time is necessary so you can go into things feeling rejuvenated.
2) “I am going to exercise more and eat a healthy diet” - Family caregivers often neglect the basics of a healthy lifestyle, but you endanger your health if you consume fast food and live a busy, but a largely sedentary lifestyle.
3) “My Healthcare Matters” - Although caregivers spend a lot of time managing their loved ones' appointments and medications, they rarely pay as much attention to their health. Have you seen a doctor lately?
4) “I am going to educate myself on what comes next for the person I am caring for” - When you have a handle on your loved one's situation, you can plan with fewer surprises that could upset you.
5) “I will connect with those that understand” - Caregivers are often hesitant to talk about how they are feeling. But this is important in expressing their feelings. If it feels unsafe to speak with friends and family, find a caregiver support group—either in person or, more often, on the Internet.
6) “Professional counseling is not something to be embarrassed about” - A counselor can guide you as you sort through your emotions, providing you with tools for how to deal with the difficult emotions of being a caregiver. Select a therapist who is knowledgeable about caregiver issues and dynamics.
7) “I am going to set boundaries” - A family caregiver may spend increasing amounts of time and energy responding to an elder's care needs. However, this is understandable when a loved one is in need. There may be times when you need to say no and rely on someone else.
8) “I will let go of the past and focus on their care” - The tables are often turned as loved one's age and those who have typically been providers instead become the recipients of care. But who can possibly push our buttons better than Mom, Dad, our sibling, or even our spouse? In other words, focus on your healing emotional wounds instead of ignoring them. Talk to a group member or your counselor for guidance.
9) “I will be compassionate with myself” - Cut yourself some slack if you find yourself feeling guilty about your caregiver burnout. Put your critical voice into your head and replace it with care and empathy.
10) “I am going to reach out for help” - Maybe you're smiling wryly now. "Those are lovely resolutions," you think. However, it may be time to get help. You don't have to do it alone. 2023 is yours to control and help is out there.
Leave a Reply.
Life is a journey, and at Pharma-C-Wipes, we provide products that support you at each twist and turn. It is important to us that we create products that are both safe and effective while being efficient and practical for those who use them. For over 15 years, we have been dedicated to providing you with high-quality first aid, personal care and home health care products that really work.